German Grain Sack Pillow - perfect addition to your home décor
This pillow is made from an antique German grain sack which I found in Germany. The hand-stenciled script on this pillow is as found and original to this sack. The sack's owner was a man named “Michael Muller”.
On a recent visit to my home country Germany, I was very excited to find a small, out of print book on the history of these sacks - now one of my most prized possessions! During the nineteenth century, professional sack painters would wander from one village to the next, offering their skills to farmers in need of having their grain sacks painted. These sacks were of great importance to the farmers. Only the wealthier farmers could afford to beautify their sacks with elaborate designs.
To keep track of their sacks when they took them to the mills, the farmers numbered them from 1 to 99. Sometimes the farmers also designated certain numbers to hold the various kinds of grains they harvested. So, numbers 1 through 10 may have held barley, 11 to 20 wheat, and so forth.
The pillow measures 20.5” x 20.5”.
FOR A PERFECT FIT, we highly recommend choosing the “Cover with Insert” option to order the luxury 100% cotton down-proof ticking pillow insert along with the pillow cover. Our pillow covers are sewn to fit these excellent hypoallergenic feather/down inserts.
- Pillow cover measures 20.5” x 20.5”.
- Back of cover is made with vintage mangle cloth, a pure linen fabric from Germany.
- Hidden zipper closure allows removal of the insert to care for the cover.
- All the fabrics are washed before sewing. For laundering my fabrics, I use Costco soap and Dr. Brunner soap. For the heavier grain sack fabrics, I also use Costco dryer sheets.
- In making these pillows, I use the best part of the fabric, avoiding stains and holes, so that these pillows are ready for your family and friends to enjoy. However, to preserve the authenticity of the fabrics, some marks and small imperfections are always present, and the hand stitched darns and patches just add to the pillow’s rustic charm. Please look at the pictures for reference.
Luxury Pillow Insert:
- Insert size for this pillow cover measures 22” x 22”.
- We buy our inserts from a luxury pillow manufacturer. The inserts are made with hypoallergenic feathers and down and covered in 235 thread count 100% cotton down-proof ticking.
- Over the years, we have used many other pillow inserts from various sources. These are the best. We have never had any feather/down leakage issues.
- Insert size is generally 2” larger than pillow cover size for pillows measuring 20” or more and 1” larger for smaller sizes.
- We highly recommend buying the insert along with the pillow. Our pillow covers are tailored to these inserts for a perfect fit.
Care of Pillow Cover:
- Dry clean or hand wash in lukewarm water with mild soap.
- Air dry only, no heat.
Guaranteed FREE USA SHIPPING on orders totaling $35 or more!
We Also Recommend
African Mudcloth Pillow - perfect addition to your home décor